What happened in 2019 - An annual summary
Some impressive numbers
- We just reached 3000 stars.
- LittlevGL has almost 700 forks.
- Already 72 developers have contributed to lvgl.
- We have closed almost 400 issues and merged 300 pull requests.
- LittlevGL was among the Top trending C language repositories on GitHub several times.
Big companies and project started to use LittlevGL
- NXP added it to MCUXpresso SDK Builder.
- Espressif - the company behind ESP32 - added LittlevGL to ESP IoT Solutions.
- Zephyr RTOS also added LittlevGL
- New online and offline font converter with kerning and compression support.
- Bidirectional text support.
- Multi-language support to allow internationalization of your UI.
- Subpixel font rendering for smoother fonts on lower-resolution displays.
- Multi display support.
- Generic events to simplify the handling of user actions.
- Besides C/C++ LittlevGL can be used with Micropython too.
- An Arduino library is created
- A PlatformIO library and project is created
- Translated documentation The whole documentation is uploaded to Zanata and can be translated by anyone.
- New forum We have launched a Discourse Forum. Thanks to Digital Ocean for the great sponsorship.
We want to take lvgl more seriously and we understand that if companies choose software to work with they expect a stable background. Therefore a company will be created for lvgl to provide UI development service and advanced support. More info will come soon, stay tuned!
New version - v7.0
v7.0 is on its way and will bring great new features.
New drawing system with:
- Better anti-aliasing
- Better shadow drawing and more shadow options (width, offset, spread)
- Masking feature to allow clipping overflowed content corners, using built-in masks for any drawing, creating masks from maps
New style system:
- Inspired by CSS: styles can be cascaded (e.g.
style_btnwith basic button style +
style_btn_redto make it red)
- Objects can have local styles.
- New style properties to allow more customization
- Transition animation between states (Animate properties when going from released to pressed state)
- All the objects are reworked, improved and simplified to use the new features of the styles
- Every object can have pressed, checked, focused, edited, disabled, hovered states
- Styles can be assigned to every state
- Focus will have more importance (not only with groups). The clicked object will go to focused state to indicate that it is selected.
- The themes will be replaced by a graphics designer created themes
- Add automatic build test functional test
Other new features
- Image rotation and scale
- Add dashed line support
- @embeddedt For the great support, development in every field and for bringing your professionalism to lvgl.
- @amirgon For creating and maintaining the Micropython binding and for the BiDi feature.
- @puzrin For the font converter and for sharing your valuable thoughts.
- @Pablo2048 For maintaining the Arduino project.
- @C47D and @jeremyjh For maintaining the ESP32 project.
- For every contributor who added features, fixed bugs or answered questions in the Forum.